I have a thing for mugs, which I suppose isn’t so awful considering mugs allow you to make things like hot chocolate, or a Skinny Chocolate Glazed Donut Mug Cake. So pretty much, donuts in a mug. Could we have predicted this 20 years ago? I mean, maybe mug cakes existed in the 90s, maybe I’m just clueless – but this feels like a revolutionary thing. Like the invention of scrunchies. Beat boxes. Tamagotchis. In and Out.
I also am hooked on donuts. Like, hooked. Every Sunday during football season, Ryan drives with Mercedes (ya know, my angel polar bear pup) to get donuts and kolaches. It’s obviously our favorite day of the week. As in clearly. Church, football, donuts. What else is there? Anyway, every time I make this mug cake, I dream of Sundays during football season. I miss Sundays during football season. But this helps me remember. Remember what Mercedes look like right before they head out the door for her favorite part of the day: car ride. I know y’all. I know. Who wouldn’t want to drive this angel to get donuts every Sunday? I want to give her the world. Anyway, she’s not allowed chocolate glazed donuts. But I am. And I eat them, believe me. Look at that glazi-ness. I eat my Skinny Chocolate Glazed Donut Mug Cake while reading my Marilyn Monroe book. I eat it while playing with my puppy outside. I eat it without a fork. The top half, anyway. Seinfeld inspired, y’all.I just love this mug cake. Its texture is spot on. You will need Joseph’s Maltitol Sweetener to make it the way I make it. But if not, substitute that tablespoon with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, “Lite,” or coconut oil. Can you see my reflection?Ah. The. Best. Here’s what you see in the background of my Skinny Chocolate Glazed Donut Mug Cake photo shoot:
Anthropologie Mug I Rooster Rug (as seen in photos) I Knotted Burgundy Sweater I The Marilyn Encyclopedia I MM – Personal (one of my favorite MM books) I Low Back Burgundy Dress I Fuzzy Grey Pillow Case by PB (as seen in photos)
Favorites? For Christmas this year, my mom bought Ryan and me that amazing rooster rug you’re looking at (only in cream) and it makes our kitchen look so put together and stunning! It’s perfect against the wall paint we selected. Also, I am obsessed with MM Personal. I’ve flipped through that book a billion times and it’s so interesting. I just bought that Pottery Barn pillow case, by the way, and it’s Heaven. And finally, look at that low-back dress. Obsessed X 1000.
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (100 calories)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (2 calories)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder (10 calories)
- 1/2 tablespoon Truvia
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, “Lite” (20 calories)
- 1 tablespoon Joseph’s Maltitol Sweetener (or additional I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter) (9 calories)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (3 calories)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons hot water, or until batter is wet and thick like pancake batter
- Glaze Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons organic powdered sugar (may replace with Swerve or Truvia Baking Blend, blended until powdered) (0 – 60 calories, depending)
- Splash water, or until wet and thick like icing
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Combine all cake ingredients in a mug, saving the hot water for last. Mix until combined.
- Heat in the microwave for 1 minute – 1 minute, 15 seconds, or until baked through.
- While baking, combine ingredients for glaze. Stir until combined.
- Top slightly cooled mug cake with glaze, and enjoy!
All you Marilyns out there, enjoy!