So, shrimp and turkey quinoa stir fry? Sounds simple enough, now that I know how to say quinoa. I used to pronounce quinoa like, “key-no-ah.” Oh, it was fantastic. I kind of wish no one had ever corrected me, and for the rest of my life, I’d go around ordering the “ava-ca-da” “key-no-ah.” Yah, I used to pronounce avocado weird too. Since being really embarrassed at a healthy-eating restaurant in Frisco – you know, when the waiter asked me to point out what I wanted on the menu since “key-no-ah” wasn’t an actual food (okay, it’s not like I was speaking French), I decided to spend a lot of time around quinoa, getting to know its ins and outs, what it’s all about, why it insists on having such a complicated name. I picture quinoa on her first day of kindergarden (yes, she’s a girl), and the teacher calling attendance, and her little gut cringing as she approaches the “Q’s.” No way this teacher is pronouncing her name correctly. No way. It will be just like pre-school, having to correct all the bullies at nap time who complain that “Kwin-wah” needs to back off, that she’s invading everyone’s personal spaces. Oh, poor Quinoa.
Anyway, quinoa isn’t so poor anymore because she’s accompanied by a bunch of weirdos in this ground turkey and shrimp stir fry, like bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. And I think people can actually appreciate her, because she’s not so basic anymore. By the way, I don’t mean basic in that annoying kind of way, that hashtag-basic way. I just mean, it’s like she just got her braces off and she just colored her hair and she just spent three months sun bathing in Saint-Tropez. The bye-bye middle school, hello high school way. Welcome, “Keen-Wah,” or, pronounced just like it looks, Quinoa. In fact, welcome shrimp and turkey quinoa stir fry:By the way, you should probably have a shrimp and turkey quinoa stir fry dinner party:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, or 3 cups cooked quinoa (about 630 calories)
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey (about 720 calories)
- 2 cups mixed stir fry vegetables, such as broccoli, water chestnuts, snap peas, bamboo shoots, and red peppers (about 200 calories, depending)
- 1/2 cup shrimp (105 calories)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (20 calories)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (25 calories)
- 2 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, "Lite" (80 calories)
- Optional: garlic, onion powder, green onions
- Cook quinoa according to package, if not already done. Set aside.
- Cook ground turkey over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic or onion powder if desired. Set aside.
- Using 1 tablespoon of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, "Lite," sauté shrimp until completely pink. Add in vegetables and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes.
- In a large stir-fry pan, combine quinoa, turkey, shrimp, vegetables, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Add an additional tablespoon of butter and continue to stir fry for another 2 minutes before serving.