You had me at buffalo chicken. Here is the very interesting thing about running a low-calorie or “skinnified” food blog with a focus on caloric intake. I’ve left out an entire group of people who are attempting the dreaded low-carb diet to burn fat. It’s not caloric intake for them :: not as much, anyway. Rather, it’s all about carbs. So, I wanted to walk the walk with you low-carbians. For three days, I consumed less than 20g of net carbs per day just to see if I could. What does that mean? Basically eating a lot of meat and a lot of cheese. I hated it, but made it through. Afterward, I slowly increased my carb intake, adding in some veggies and fruits here and there. Finally, I am weaning off this low-carb diet – but still eating lower-carb meals and drinking tons of water. If you are not drinking tons of water on a low-carb diet, you can harm your kidneys. Anyway, here is one of my favorite recipes that came out of my experiment. Buffalo Chicken Soft Tacos, with a catch. I say catch, because you’re being mindful of the sauce and tortillas you use.They’re so easy to make – perfect for a light lunch, or when your husband’s ordering Tex-Mex for dinner, you can “skinnify” your own meal. Get this ranch yogurt dressing today. By the way, it’s time we “Tex Mex” the right way
- - 1 cup shredded chicken (210 calories)
- - 3 tablespoons low-carb buffalo wing sauce (Kroger's Spicy Garlic Wing sauce is only 15 calories and >1 carb per tablespoon) (45 calories)
- - 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (100 calories)
- - 2 tablespoons low-carb ranch dressing (Bolthouse Farms' Classic Ranch Yogurt dressing is only 45 calories and 3g carbs per 2 tablespoons)
- - Handful of butter lettuce (1 carb per cup)
- - 2 low-carb tortillas (such as Mission, 6g net carb per tortilla) (240 calories)
- Shred one cup cooked chicken using a fork.
- Heat tortillas in oven at 325F for three - seven minutes, depending on how warm/soft/crisp you'd like them.
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken and buffalo sauce. Toss until chicken is coated.
- Remove tortillas from oven and fill with lettuce and buffalo chicken.
- Top with ranch dressing and blue cheese crumbles.
8g net carbs per soft taco