In Anguilla on our honeymoon, I chose French toast for breakfast every day, and not Skinny French Toast either. The real thing. Yup, I chose French toast almost every day, even though this used to be my least favorite breakfast food ever (shocking, right?). We enjoyed it on our balcony, staring at the ocean. The perfect ocean. With our perfect food. In the perfect place. It was … well … perfect. The smell of the water. The taste of the toast. It was fatty and drizzled with syrup and I didn’t care. But eventually, we came home from Anguilla. And things like fat and butter were like, you know, not something I wanted to be stuffing my face with regularly. So I improvised.I can’t begin to say how much my Skinny French Toast means to me now. No longer in Anguilla, I never want to forget how perfect that entire week was. And when I say perfect, I mean flawless. Being able to remember our breakfasts out on the balcony next to my new husband has been such a blessing. God knew that I needed a piece of Anguilla with me when I returned home. I think that’s why he gave me a passion for baking in the first place 🙂Here are some necessities for the breakfast food lover:
Croquade Croque Monsieur Waffle Plate I Breville Smart Waffle Pro I Nordic Ware Waffle Stick Pan I Williams-Sonoma Ultimate Silicone Waffle Tongs, Red I Belleville Cheese Knives I Moderno Glass Dinner Plate I Ceres Gravy Boat
Favorites? I am obsessed with that Croquade Croque Monsieur Waffle Plate – I mean, look at that bubbly, lightly fried cheese. I also have to have the Nordic Ware Waffle Stick Pan. I drool just thinking about dunking them in a a bowl of Joseph’s Maltitol-Sweetened Maple Syrup, only 35 calories per 1/4 cup (or marinara sauce if doing cheese stick waffles)! Or, if you want, french toast sticks. And finally, give me those Moderno Glass Dinner Plates!
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Egg-Whites (8 calories)
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid Eggbeaters (17 calories - or substitute with egg-whites, or all 3 tablespoons with one whole egg)
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk (11.25 calories)
- 1/2 tablespoon Truvia (or double with sugar)
- Optional: 1 Teaspoon Powdered Sugar (10 calories)
- Optional: 2 Tablespoons Syrup, such as Joseph's All-Natural Sugar-Free Syrup (17.5 calories)
- A Pinch of Salt
- 3 Slices of Bread of Choice, Such as ThinSlim Food's Plain Bread (only 50 calories per slice, totaling 150 calories)
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg-whites and eggbeaters (or one whole egg) together.
- Add in milk, Truvia, vanilla extract and salt. Soak bread for at least 30 seconds on each side, longer if desired.
- Cook on a lightly buttered or non-stick pan until your toast is golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve with syrup and/or powdered sugar and/or dried cranberries.