I don’t always eat pecans, but when I do it’s a Skinny Caramel Pecan Cake. . . .Weird that I typed that hoping you imagined me as the Most Interesting Man in the World? Please tell me you’ve seen those commercials. Otherwise, I just seem like a nut. But this is certainly up for the title of most interesting dessert in the world. Or lunch, if you’re like me and want sweets anytime, any day. It’s flavorful and filling and only 320-calories. What more could a girl want? Oh, and pun totally intended.So in the spirit of being corny and loving pecans, I created this wonderful concoction! Basically, it’s a muffin meets a coffee cake meets an explosion of caramel, sprinkled with pecans and served immediately out of the oven. Yummm-o!So when making your Skinny Caramel Pecan Cake, you need some proper equipment. Here are some awesome kitchen necessities you should check out:
Favorites? My entire kitchen looks like it has exploded with MacKenzie-Childs, so I am rightfully so obsessed with that black and white checkered mitten. Also, look at that butter keeper. The color, the shape. I need. And finally, I have the cinnamon roll pan. I love that cinnamon roll pan. You wouldn’t believe how flawless your rolls come out looking.
- Muffin Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (100 calories)
- 1/4 cup pastry flour (82 calories - may substitute with whole wheat pastry flour, but the yogurt may need to be increased by about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (2 calories)
- 2 tablespoons Truvia
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (3 calories)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (6 calories)
- 1/4 cup regular vanilla yogurt, I used Dannon's Light & Fit (28 calories, depending)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons liquid eggbeaters or egg-whites (12.5 calories)
- Caramel Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice, I used fat-free (12 calories, depending)
- 1 teaspoon Joseph's Maltitol-Sweetened Syrup, or syrup of choice (3 calories, depending)
- Splash of pure vanilla extract (2 calories)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, "Lite" (13 calories)
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans (50 calories)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all dry ingredients for muffin.
- Once dry ingredients have been well mixed, add in wet ingredients for muffin one after the other.
- After your batter has been mixed, pour it into an individual-sized cake tin (non-stick preferably).
- Bake your muffin for approximately 10 - 15 minutes, or until the top of your muffin is golden and stiff to the touch.
- While your muffin is baking, mix together your ingredients for your caramel (excluding pecans).
- In a small, non-stick pot, cook your ingredients on the stove over medium-heat.
- Stir mixture continuously until it begins to thicken, turning golden brown.
- After several minutes, your mixture should be thick like caramel.
- Turn off stove and allow your caramel to sit and thicken.
- Once your muffin has finished baking, remove it from the oven.
- Drizzle with caramel and sprinkle with pecans.