What is it about Skinny Strawberry Scones? I had about fifty. How’d this start? This past weekend, my mom threw a bridal shower for her best friend’s daughter. I walked into a feast of sparkling wine, cake balls and scones. So many scones, everywhere scones. And these scones were the best scones I’ve ever had – which says a lot, because I adore them. I was shocked to find out they were out of a pre-made mix from World Market. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so surprised, because World Market is the bomb, but I was surprised, and while being surprised, I continued to stuff my face with those raspberry dreamboats!
Waking up the next day, I was inspired. I needed to make awesome, crumbly, moist scones. Skinny Strawberry Scones, to be specific. I needed them to be low in calories so no one would feel guilty eating the entire batch – I know I didn’t feel too guilty 😉 Since I didn’t have raspberries around, I went with strawberries. This happened next . . . .Want in on the secret of these Skinny Strawberry Scones? And want to make them on Valentines Day? Here’s what you’ll need . . . .
Heart Shirt I Purple Ribbon I Valentine Rosettes I Valentine Gift Bags I Heart Cookie Stamps I Heart Pan I Valentine Mug I Love Birds Cake I Three-Teir Mini Heart Cakes I Sending You My Love Postcard (Set of Ten) I I Love You A Latte Kitchen Towels I You Float My Boat Kitchen Towels I Ice Cream Maker I Heart Cookie Cutters in Red I Heart Cookie Cutters in White I Pink Heart Dutch Oven Cooker I Red and Pink Ribbon
- Scone Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup pastry flour (165 calories - if using whole wheat pastry flour, you may want to increase cottage cheese by one tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (2 calories)
- 1 tablespoon Truvia
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons fat-free cottage cheese (34 calories)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (4 calories)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (12 calories)
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen strawberries (20 calories)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl (exclude strawberries).
- Add each wet ingredient into the mix, one-by-one, stirring well after each addition (exclude strawberries).
- Measure your strawberries and, if frozen, pop them in the microwave for approximately 15 seconds. Mush strawberries and spoon into the mix.
- Stir your batter well and pour finished product into a small, circular oven pan, approximately 6 inches in diameter. Consider using non-stick foil for this project. Simply wrap your foil around the base of a circular vase (or something of desired size and shape), removing your foil so that it resembles a baking pan. This will be easy upon removal, as you can simply pull the sides off of scones and serve immediately.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until scones appear nice and golden brown and are firm in the middle.
- Remove and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully take scones out of circular pan and divide into 8 evenly-sized scones.
- At only 30 calories each, enjoy as many as you'd like! Consider spreading with SGS's Cream Cheese Frosting! I spread mine with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, "Lite."