Sometimes it doesn’t work to be creative, which was my fear when taking on the very dreary task of making the perfect Skinny Fried Donuts. Sometimes it totally works to be creative. Today, I got a little creative and it paid off. I found a way to make “fried” donuts skinny. I also found a way to make glazed donuts skinny. I also found a way to make brown butter donuts . . . skinny!Mmmhmmm.
- Donut Ingredients:
- 1/2 package active dry yeast (about 10 calories)
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 cup lukewarm unsweetened almond milk (7.5 calories)
- 1/8 cup Truvia Baking Blend (60 calories) + 1/4 cup spoonable Truvia
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons eggbeaters (8 calories)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce or 1 tablespoon melted I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, "Lite" (7 - 40 calories)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (450 calories)
- "Frying Oil" ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided (240 calories)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, divided (22.5 calories)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, divided (12 calories)
- Sprinkling Topping:
- 2 tablespoons Truvia Baking Blend Brown Sugar (53 calories)
- Cut yeast package in half and dissolve in 1 tablespoon hot water.
- In a large bowl, add yeast, milk, Truvia, salt, eggbeater, applesauce and flour.
- Stir well using a hand-mixer, getting rid of all lumps.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about an hour.
- After an hour, kneed dough well and break into 6 evenly-sized balls, creating donut shapes in each. I used a donut tin to do this. If you want, you can leave dough inside (lightly greased) donut tin while rising, as long as you place in a large bowl or pan and cover well.
- Allow to rise for an additional hour.
- When dough has concluded rising process, mix together oil, coconut milk and vanilla "frying oil" in a bowl.
- Heat 1/2 of the mix on the stove.
- Once mix has begun to boil, carefully place 3 donuts inside pan and allow the mix to bubble over, coating the donuts as much as possible.
- Allow donuts to "fry" for about 1 minute on one side before flipping. Flip and allow to fry for the remaining time on the stove - which should last until your donuts have absorbed a majority of the liquid.
- Repeat this process with the remaining "frying oil" and donuts.
- Sprinkle each donut with Truvia BB "Brown Sugar."
If you’re a donut freak like me, you need this stuff:
Favorites? I have to have that donut portrait somewhere in my home. It’s a must. Also, I am the biggest fan of mugs, and I Donut Care is no different. Additionally, I am obsessed, in love, crazy about donut holes.
Take that, Krispy Kreme. Even though I still love you. Even though I still think about you. Even though I still eat you sometimes on cheat day. Hey, a girl’s gotta live. That isn’t to say that my skinny fried donuts don’t do the trick. I totally love them. I totally think they’re delicious. But man, Krispy Kreme is still like, my go-to cheat. I’m a fan. A big fan. I was even a fan when I was a weird little middle schooler who hated sweet things including donuts. What does that tell you?