Tell me that those words, Skinny Cinnamon Sugar Donuts, don’t do anything for you. Tell me! Okay, now that I’ve demanded you own up to a lie (right? You wouldn’t confess such a bold-faced lie, would you?), let me fill you in. I’m taking a break from my pancake adventures and moving on to bigger and better things. Maybe not bigger and better, but as equally awesome. Donuts. Skinny Cinnamon Sugar Donuts, to be more specific. I was inspired by Grandma’s Best Donuts by Buns in my Oven, but – like I usually do – I needed to make this recipe guilt-free. That’s when this happened . . What is it about donuts? I mean, the fact that the word starts out with “dough” doesn’t hurt. The fact that it ends in “nuts,” doesn’t hurt either, though I hardly ever eat a pancake with nuts in it. Perhaps that’s to signify that you’ll go crazy or “nuts” over this stuff. Like Krispy Kremes. Y’all know I love my Krispy Kremes. Like really. Here’s what you have to have to make the perfect Skinny Cinnamon Sugar Donuts:
Favorites? I have to have that donut portrait somewhere in my home. It’s a must. Also, I am the biggest fan of mugs, and I Donut Care is no different. Additionally, I am obsessed, in love, crazy about donut holes.
- Donut Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce (14 calories)
- 1/4 cup Truvia Baking Blend (100 calories)
- 1 tablespoon egg-whites or eggbeaters (8 calories)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (7.5 calories)
- 3/4 white whole wheat flour (300 calories)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (2 calories)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (1 calorie)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (3 calories)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (1 calorie)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (10 calories - can sub with vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (4 calories)
- Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 1/8 cup Truvia Baking Blend (48 calories)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (6 calories)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix together applesauce and Truvia, adding egg-white or eggbeater afterward.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, not including ingredients for vanilla glaze or cinnamon sugar coating.
- Add everything together, stirring well until perfectly combined.
- Place donut batter into gallon-sized ziplock. Cut an inch-sized hole in one end of ziplock and push batter out of gap and into donut pan.
- Bake in oven for about 7 minutes.
- While baking, mix together ingredients for vanilla glaze in one bowl and cinnamon sugar coating in another bowl.
- Remove donuts after 7 minutes and spread with vanilla glaze, immediately dipping in sugar coating afterward.
- Place back in oven for 2 - 3 minutes, or until they reach the crispness you desire.