I love chicken salad, and I love the idea of Skinny Chicken Salad, but I loathe mayonnaise! I think when I was young, I used to have a thing for it because I was used to it, but as I grew up, the smell would make me gag. That’s why it was so difficult letting chicken salad go. My tastebuds would chant ’yes,’ but my mind would scream and run for the door. At last, God introduced me to the right people who then introduced me to the practice of substituting greek yogurt for mayonnaise, sour cream, ice cream, and sometimes butter. The result . . . healthy, heavenly goodness.
- 1/4 cup grilled chicken, chopped (80 calories)
- 1/8 cup diced red or green onion (7.5 calories)
- 1/4 cup diced apple (18 calories)
- 1/4 cup chopped grapes (28 calories)
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries (45 calories)
- 5 raspberries (5 calories)
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon juice (2 calories)
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (about 30 calories, depending)
- Dash of garlic salt
- Dash of ground black pepper
- Optional: pita pockets or ciabatta bread
- Optional: crushed pecans or slice almonds
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (so long as chicken is cooked).
- Chill in a refrigerator for 10 - 15 minutes, covered, before eating.
I don’t know why, but Skinny Chicken Salad makes me think of a very beautiful, chic bistro. Maybe it has something to do with my high school graduation party, which was at a very beautiful, chic bistro and served chicken salad. Here are my favorite “bistro” must haves:
Favorites? How do you choose? Well, those florals are (believe it or not) more stunning in person. Also, I love all things marble, so I am 100% sold on that marble tray. (Not to mention the marble platter which was a part of my wedding registry and yes, it was the best decision ever). And finally, look at that chair. Stare at that chair. It’s perfection.